[DeTomaso] Stripped Rear Swaybar Bracket Stud

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Jan 29 22:42:06 EST 2020

The tiny rear swaybar bracket 'studs' are spot-welded to the inside of the bent-square sheetmetal rear crossmember with three tiny dots of weld on the inner edge of a round head, leaving the threaded shank protruding. There is not enough metal in the crossmember for threads. The simplest way to replace one is to drill a 1" OD access hole in the bottom of the inside of the square channel crossmember, pound the fastener thru and poke a Grade 8 bolt (maybe of a next size larger diameter)  thru the small stock hole, from the inside. Then tighten the outer nut while holding the bolt head with a wrench through the new access hole. If using a decorative aluminum plate back there, enlarge the stud-holes to fit your replacement bolt. This requires you to remember the bolt/stud will be difficult to work with in the future.

Or you could skip replacing the loose 'stud'- if it is still intact, simply reweld the stock round head to the crossmember sheet metal thru an access hole and do a better job of welding. Stock studs have small round heads with no hex inside the square channel, so cannot be tightened with a socket & extension, or even held with Vice-grip pliers thru a really large access hole. As I found out.