[DeTomaso] Lug nuts specs and advise please!

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon Jan 27 23:30:52 EST 2020

+1
My wheel lug nuts were a different brand and had splines.  They required
a special socket as well.  I'm with Doug on this.
Asa  Jay

Asa Jay Laughton - W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
Spokane County ARES-RACES-ACS EC/RO
******************************
http://w7tsc.org
http://www.teampanteraracing.com

[1]http://w7tsc.org
[2]http://www.teampanteraracing.com

   I simply ordered a spare key, one of which I keep in the garage, the
   other hidden in the car.

   It's the same idea as having a spare key to your house or car.

   You don't leave your house or car unlocked, do you?

   Well, I chose not to keep an expensive set of wheels unlocked either.

   Doug

   EXACTLY!  That's why I would never put something like that on a car.
   The destruction necessary if something is misplaced just isn't worth
   it. When you are in Phoenix at the Fun Rally and get a flat tire, and
   your lug nut key is back at home in the toolbox, that's not a good
   scene at all!

   Mike

   Sent from my iPad

   Either you have put the key information tag in a safe place so you can
   maybe order a new one  but if you are in a bind then either use a
   impact chisel at an angle on each nut to break them away enough to
   unscrew them  or

   You buy normal lug nuts or big ass nuts and weld them onto the locking
   nuts with a wire welder let them cool and use a normal tire T lug nut
   remover.

   yes this is for real , have had to do this a couple of times when my
   wife lost the key lug.

   jg

   On Monday, January 27, 2020, 02:07:14 PM MST, Mike Drew via DeTomaso
   And what do you do when you lose the key? How do you get the wheels off
   then?
   Mike
   Sent from my iPad
   > On Jan 27, 2020, at 09:43, Doug [9]<[3]doug351c at gmail.com> wrote:
   >
   > I'm highly recommend Gorilla Automotive Product's "The System"
   [4]www.gorilla-auto.com/the-system
   > These are a full set of 20 identical locking lug nuts that are
   externally splined.  They come with a hardened socket key that goes
   fully over the lug for easy install/removal (no slipping like with the
   stupid puzzle key type lugs).  The splines on the nuts are in towards
   the wheel so they barely show which makes these lugs look great on your
   wheels.  This is a vast improvement in looks over the stupid puzzle
   shape showing on McGard's version that collects dirt and looks ugly
   over time.  IMHO, this is the best security for high $$ wheels.  Their
   chrome has lasted extremely well over 25 years on my Pantera and the
   set I bought 4 years ago for my 70 Mach1 are of the same quality.
   You'll need the "Acorn" tapered-seat type (12mm x 1.5N) p/n 71633N in
   chrome p/n 71633NBC in black chrome.
   > These are available from Summit Racing and from Amazon at

   [5][10]https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-71633N-System-Thread/dp/B0
   00CMF4UC

   1. [17]mailto:notstock at yahoo.com
   2. [18]mailto:detomaso at server.detomasolist.com