[DeTomaso] Gated Shifter or Not?

audionut motonut audionut at mediacombb.net
Mon Jan 27 20:10:54 EST 2020

"Whoa! Gated shifter! Take that plate off right away!"

These words came at me one day not long after I bought my Pantera. I forget now who said them.

The reasoning, as I recall, was this: the gate forced the shift lever into an "in gear" position that placed stress on the shift linkage which in turn placed stress on the internal gears thereby causing premature gear wear.

Although this sounded like a possibility to me, I liked the gate and didn't want to remove it. I decided that this might only be a problem if the linkage and the gate were not aligned well.

I took the car out for a drive and jiggled the shifter a bit in each gear to determine if the lever was indeed being forced into an unnatural position against its' will.
Even though the shifter did indeed rest in contact with the gate in each gear, it did not feel (to me) that it did so uncomfortably. 14 years later, the gate remains and my shifter is not being sawed in half. It is only lightly scratched.

Given that the Pantera was hand-built, variations in build quality were inevitable from car to car. Like many of the Pantera's well-known issues, the "gate thing" may have been something common to earlier cars that eventually was corrected by the factory.
As we all know by now, the old horror stories never die-- apparently, they are kept alive and well via word-of-mouth among car guys who know jack doodly squat about Panteras.