[DeTomaso] Gated Shifter or Not?

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Sun Jan 26 18:24:22 EST 2020

When I got my Pantera 33 years ago, the gate fingers were significantly worn and the shift lever was nearly sawed halfway thru from rubbing against the fingers.
I bought a new shift gate and shift lever when I had the car restored but I couldn't bring myself to put the new shift gate so as to save the new shift lever from getting scarred up.   I had read that some had said it was easier to shift without fingers so I decided to saw off the fingers from the original gate.   I told myself that I could install the new shift gate whenever I wanted to show the car but I never did.
I found it very easy to shift through all the gears without the fingers especially when shifting fast when I took the car on the track.
Tom5186

I'm sure there are tons of opinions on whether to retain the gated shifter or to go "fingerless" but what do the experts say? In other words, what do the prominent ZF rebuilders say about it?

Corey

   use the links above.