[DeTomaso] Throw out bearing

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 26 12:25:28 EST 2020

I can only give you my experience; I had always previously followed the crowd and used bronze bushings (quality oilite ones) but when I purchased the GT5 the ZF was in process of being rebuilt by Dennis Quella (to which I added the tall 5th). Upon install and driving I noticed some shifting issues, Dennis drove it at Pahrump and concurred, we agreed I'd pull the ZF again and send back to him. He went through it and could basically find nothing, I reinstalled and as expected there was no improvement. It was at that point that Dennis asked what I was using for a pilot bushing/bearing and upon revealing it was an oilite bronze bushing, he was aghast and sent me a needle bearing, low and behold problem fixed and I've been driving it on that bearing for 13 years now.

Julian

Any advantage to using a needle bearing vs throw out bronze bushing?

Jeff
6559