[DeTomaso] Lube in steering rack

Larry Stock larrys at panteraparts.com
Thu Jan 23 17:56:31 EST 2020

In the new CAM GEAR racks and all TRW racks of the same design and vintage, they now use grease which makes a lot of sense if disassembled.
Larry Stock

On 1/23/20, 2:36 PM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Jack DeRyke via DeTomaso" <detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:

       Yes. 90-wt gear lube accumulates wear particles that are bad for the
       unshielded ball bearings supporting the pinion gear. And there are
       always small leaks. The small end of the boots should be clamped tight
       to the rod. The steering rod should not slide back & forth thru the
       small end of the boot.
       Topping the lube up occasionally helps keep the rack teeth submerged to
       minimize tooth & bushing wear and helps flush wear particles into the
       steering rod boots, where the corrugations tend to trap them. Then when
       you service the rack, you clean out the accumulation of nasties inside
       the boots (or replace the boots entirely; they're cheap). I added a
       primitive sight gauge to my rack so I could keep track of the lube
       level.