[DeTomaso] Lube in steering rack

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Jan 23 17:36:57 EST 2020

Yes. 90-wt gear lube accumulates wear particles that are bad for the unshielded ball bearings supporting the pinion gear. And there are always small leaks. The small end of the boots should be clamped tight to the rod. The steering rod should not slide back & forth thru the small end of the boot.

Topping the lube up occasionally helps keep the rack teeth submerged to minimize tooth & bushing wear and helps flush wear particles into the steering rod boots, where the corrugations tend to trap them. Then when you service the rack, you clean out the accumulation of nasties inside the boots (or replace the boots entirely; they're cheap). I added a primitive sight gauge to my rack so I could keep track of the lube level.

  Is it necessary to replace the lube in the steering rack?
  Thanks,
  Jeff

     Is it necessary to replace the lube in the steering rack?
     Thanks,
     Jeff
   use the links above.