[DeTomaso] 4,000 pound Mustang???

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Jan 17 16:50:21 EST 2020

Generating horsepower costs mileage regardless of what or how power is made. There is no magic. F-1 and Indy-cars both put out around 600-700 bhp (peak) and struggle to make 3.8 mpg average- one on methanol, one on what F-1 calls 'gasoline'. If you use all the blown Mustang's (or a quad-turbo Bugatti's) power, fuel mileage drops like a rock in direct proportion to how long the gas pedal is matted. If you drive reasonably in real world traffic (using maybe about 200-250 bhp), likely the Mustang with street gearing will be in the mid '20s- like a well tuned Pantera from 50 years ago.

As for the 2 tons of weight, that's a direct result of all the "modern" conveniences and driver-distractions that factories include today on what they call 'performance' machines, in spite of lots of aluminum, carbon fiber, etc. A C-8 with all-aluminum frame & al/balsa-wood floor weighs about what a 'Vette weighed 30 yrs ago but without the motorhome distractions.

My best guess- J DeRyke