[DeTomaso] Rear sway bracket snapped-Help!

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jan 12 16:26:27 EST 2020

Cliff,

Stock sway bar ends are readily available. I will send you one for free if you like.

Poly bushings are more rigid than the stock rubber bushings which puts more stress on the brackets. One reason why people replace them with billet aluminum brackets which are much stronger.

Rotational noise is bad news. Could be driveshafts running dry (when was the last time you greased them?) or bad wheel bearing/blown-out rear axle.

Jack up the car and grasp the tire at 3 and 9 o’clock and wiggle it in and out. There should be zero movement or noise. Any movement at all is bad.

If it moves, try again at 12 and 6 o’clock. If it doesn’t do it there, the problem could be the bearings in the hub carrier (lower shaft connects the hub carrier to the A-arm). But that wouldn’t generate a rotational sound, so I would tend to doubt that as a possible cause. If you have wheel movement and clunking it’s almost assuredly bad axle/bearings. Big job requiring special tools, and expertise that almost no mechanic will have.  Corvette guys might have a clue?  Or places that work on old Ferrari’s and Maseratis. That would likely be expensive!

Mike

Sent from my iPad