[DeTomaso] Gearbox singing noise

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Fri Jan 10 16:50:47 EST 2020

Valuable information!Thank you!
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: ASSHAUER, HARTWIG <hartwig.asshauer at airbus.com>
To: detomaso at server.detomasolist.com <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>
Sent: Thu, Jan 9, 2020 10:07 am
Subject: [DeTomaso] Gearbox singing noise

  Bonjour from France,

  I had been asked by private mail many times to provide an update about
  my attempt to fix the singing noise of my Pantera gearbox. Instead of
  answering individually here is the status to all those who are
  interested in this topic:

  Just before Christmas I had removed the gearbox out of my car mainly to
  change the shaft seals. In conclusion, it is possible to change those
  seals but you need to be conscious about two important items: 1) When
  you replace the paper gaskets of the slide flanges you need gaskets
  that have EXACTLY! the same thickness (in my case 0.15mm). If not you
  will change backlash (between crown and pinion wheel) and preloading of
  the taper roller bearings and create quite a mess. 2) Be aware that the
  two long tension bolts have also an influence on the taper roller
  bearing preload when tightening those bolts and you do not have the
  correct size shims installed!

  Before having changed the shaft seals I had checked the backlash
  between crown wheel and pinion gear and the taper roller bearing
  preload. I found that somebody had already worked on the gearbox before
  since I found the crown wheel wire locked and the shaft seals where
  already changed at least once before. In line with the ZF maintenance
  manual I found the original backlash marked on my crown wheel which is
  0.20mm, but I measured a significant higher value. There was also no
  preloading of the taper roller bearings. I did some measurements and
  calculations and found that I had to add one shim of 0.18mm to get very
  close to the 0.20mm backlash and the specified range of taper roller
  bearing preloading. After I had reassembled the gearbox parts and added
  the one shim I crosschecked backlash and bearing preload and found them
  as specified. I installed the gearbox last week and it turned out in my
  case that the high screaming noise at low torque is gone! There is
  still some remaining gearbox noise but overall the noise level is
  significantly reduced and perfect for me. I drove the car during the
  weekend on a longer trip and there was no issue. The noise from the
  gearbox did not change and gearbox temperature was as usual.

  I almost forgot:  "Bonne annee" (Happy New Year) like we say in France.

  Brgds

  Hartwig

  The information in this e-mail is confidential. The contents may not be
  disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee. Access to this
  e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Airbus immediately
  and delete this e-mail.
  Airbus cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or
  completeness of this e-mail as it has been sent over public networks.
  If you have any concerns over the content of this message or its
  Accuracy or Integrity, please contact Airbus immediately.
  All outgoing e-mails from Airbus are checked using regularly updated
  virus scanning software but you should take whatever measures you deem
  to be appropriate to ensure that this message and any attachments are
  virus free.

   Valuable information!
   Thank you!
   Jim