[DeTomaso] Stiff clutch diagnosed - WTF?!

Mike & Elizabeth Thomas mbefthomas2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 00:16:30 EST 2020

At the end of the Panteras Northwest Fall Cruise last September, my clutch
was becoming stiffer by the day and at the end, It was all I could do to get
home.

I pulled the engine and ZF yesterday in prep for a restoration on the car
and when we pulled the two apart to diagnose the stiff clutch, I found that
the fingers on the clutch lever arm and the 'ears' on the throw-out bearing
were both extremely worn (see attached photos).  Also, while the face of the
throw-out does not appear overly worn, the bearing itself is quite loose and
rattily.  The lever arm shaft moves freely enough so I suspect my problem
was with the lever arm to throw-out friction.

I'm likely going to have to separate the bell housing from the ZF and send
out for repairs - I don't want to tackle this one myself.  I suspect the
throw-out actuator will need to be replaced.  I put a very light lube on
things when I put it together but no more/less than the last two times I've
replaced this bearing (with a stock unit previously) and never seen this
kind of wear.

Stay tuned.  I sent these pics to Adam at Pantera Performance and we'll see
what he has to say.  I was running one of Quella's throw-out bearings as
well.  Glad I won't be driving it for a while.

Mike

Our email address has changed: Please use mbefthomas2 at gmail.com
<mailto:mbefthomas2 at gmail.com>  for all new messages, thanks!