[DeTomaso] Carburator

Dennis Valdez sjcarguy60 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 27 16:43:17 EDT 2020

 Hi Erik et al,
I just measured the spacer on my car and it is 5/8" thick.  This is not a typical size for a spacer.  The carb was installed by Wilkinson for the previous owner.  I looked at the receipt and it does not specify the spacer part number, only the carb.
For what it's worth I have 1/4" clear from the air cleaner cover to the engine cover.  I pulled out the old motorcraft carb and it measures 3 1/4" from the base to where the the air cleaner gasket sits.  I looked online for dimensions on the Edelbrock 1806 for a comparison and was not able to find it.  At some point I will pull the engine cover and air cleaner and measure the Edelbrock to satisfy my curiosity.
Perhaps the drop in the air cleaner bases changed when they moved the snorkel orientation on the later 351c's used in Panteras.
Dennis
    On Thursday, August 27, 2020, 11:42:30 AM PDT, Erik Kolstoe <ekolstoe at gmail.com> wrote:

 All I can say is what was happening on my car. I had a 1/2" aluminum riser plate and a stock air cleaner which allowed for full range of the throttle linkage, but the air cleaner interfered.with the engine cover.  I have since replaced the intake manifold and the air cleaner and went with an edelbrock manifold and a 2 1/5 in. air filter and it still, just barely interfered with the engine cover, only just. I then purchased an air cleaner bottom  with the max amount of drop, and the whole assembly finally fits, but only just.
>From what I experienced on my car, the stock manifold will absolutely not work with a Holley without a spacer. I tried a 1/4" spacer and the butterflies still interfered with the secondary castings. I had to use the 1/2" riser. which pushed everything up too far.  And that included trying to use the stock air cleaner or the aftermarket air cleaner with the higher drop pan bottom and the 2.5" filter element. I'm curious as to how this all works on Dennis's car, but he has an Edelbrock carburetor and maybe it does not have as tall of a profile. Not sure.
That is the info that I have, for what it is worth.
On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 3:40 PM Mike Drew <MikeLDrew at aol.com> wrote:

The solid center section engine covers aren't raised. They are exactly the same height at the back. The front sticks up a bit relative to the mesh screens but that's not really relevant. The air cleaner is higher at the rear because of the slope of the intake pad and the height at the rear is the same.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone