[DeTomaso] Difficulty starting the Pantera... PROBLEM SOLVED!

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 19:51:01 EDT 2020

UPDATE...
THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!
First of all, thank you to everyone who shared suggestions and ideas on what to check.
It turns out that the local AC shop who installed my new AC compressor CHANGED the wiring to my starter solenoid!!!  :(
It seems that after they installed my new AC compressor, they couldn't get the car started. They told me that the vacuum line to the EIS controller/box was ruptured or torn (they must have done it because there were no problems before I took it to them), so they cut off the ruptured section and all was good they said. However, the vacuum line is for the A/C compressor control electronics within the EIS, so I doubt that had anything to do with causing the car not to start.  Anyway, the shop failed to tell me everything else they must have tried to get the car started BEFORE they discovered the "ruptured vacuum line."
I have a PMGR mini hi-torque starter (from DB Electrical) which requires that the starter lead be moved to the battery/input side of the solenoid, and a new 12 ga. trigger wire be added at the output side of the solenoid and run to the starter.  The Pantera Electronics EIS has a safety feature which disables the ignition in the event of a sudden loss of oil pressure.

The idiots at the AC shop moved all the wiring connections to the output side of the starter solenoid, effectively bypassing the OEM solenoid in favor of the PMGR starter's integral solenoid.  However, the EIS has a wire lead that connects to the 'S' post on the OEM solenoid in the attached illustration which triggers a time delay for the oil pressure safety feature.  By moving the wiring and bypassing the OEM solenoid the EIS failed to receive a signal to trigger the time delay on the ignition cut-off safety feature.  Therefore, the car would not start. Sometimes the car would start, but I suspect it was only after cranking enough to build up sufficient oil pressure. And it would start with the battery booster or a jump-start, but again only after a lot of cranking, so again, it probably built up sufficient oil pressure to allow the ignition to trigger.
I returned the solenoid wiring to the correct orientation on Sunday night, and the car has started without hesitation or issue every time since!  And I've been driving it daily to make sure there's no more problem.
Anyway, thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Cheers!
Garth