[DeTomaso] Techno question: Tach malfunction

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sun Aug 23 19:28:32 EDT 2020

Dear Forum,

             I was driving home after the Int'l  Drive Your Pantera Day
after an uneventful two hundred mile drive when about a mile from home I
noticed that the tach was not working normally.  The engine was running fine
and all other gauges read normal.

            Instead of proper function or a completely dead tach, the tach
needle was bouncing around somewhat wildly between 2300 and 3800 rpm or so.
That ain't right.

            I use an MSD ignition system and an MSD tach adaptor, which is
about twenty years old.   Is this a failure mode indicative of primary
tachometer failure or primary tach *adaptor* failure??

                      Warmest regards, Chuck Engles