[DeTomaso] Difficulty starting the Pantera...

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 20 18:52:26 EDT 2020

Sending this to the brain-trust for some collective wisdom on where and what to check first before I drop $100 on a new battery...
The Problem:The engine will crank and crank and crank, but it won't light/fire.Only when I release the key from the 'start' position after 10-20 seconds of cranking, it sounds like it just tries to light for a seconds, but doesn't catch.
The battery is an Optima Red top, but I'm not sure how old it is. Date code is 6033, which most likely means 2/2/2016.  I don't remember replacing the battery only 4 years ago, but I must have.Battery voltage before cranking = 12.4v to 12.55vI believe voltage in the 12.0-12.4v range means it's low.  It also doesn't seem to hold a charge long, so I expect it's sulfated.

If I add my little portable battery booster ($60 from Costo), it will usually start. The engine doesn't crank any faster, but the engine fires this time.
I was thinking I might need a new battery, but wanted to see if there's something else I should check first before dropping $100 on a battery.
The ignition is a Pantera Electronics Electronic Ignition System (EIS) with a Mallory Unilite distributor (with a newer module).
Thanks!
Garth#4033