[DeTomaso] Engine cover

Chuck and Linda Huber lindahuber at cox.net
Sun Apr 26 22:47:15 EDT 2020

>From my point of view, it doen's matter what screws you use.

Do what Larry (I think) did, get a piece of bar stock, and make 8-10 ALL NEW
nuts, to fit your favorite screws (of a standard configuration).  Cut them
to size, and then install inside the captive housing on the firewall.

Put a gob of RTV or silicone in with the nut, and then when they are all
installed, put the bulkhead cover on with your new screws.  The silicone
will stiffen up with the nut in the right position, but will give the nut
just a little play to make the threading / screw installation easier.

Next pass - put a gasket between the engine cover.

You can also use those black faucet washers (they are about 1/4" thick) as
gaskets on the outslde of the screw - between the head and engine cover to
provide a little bit of "give", and consistent compression.

Regards -

Chuck