[DeTomaso] Electric anyone?

Matt Wells nwpantera at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 21:44:53 EDT 2020

All right let's juice up this forum! Hope you are all doing as well as can
be expected. My mind tends to wander to unknown places lately...
I've been seeing a trend that's growing and that is converting ICE cars to
electric.
Does anyone have any thoughts on converting a Pantera?
Stop reading now if you don't want to hear any more of this nonsense.

Still here? Then here's some of my thoughts.
Has it been done yet? I'd be surprised if somebody has not yet attempted
it. If not it will surely be done at some point in the future.
I know what you're thinking. Sacrilege!
The very heart of the Pantera is that loud and proud rumbly V8 planted
squarely in the middle.
That's the way it was designed and that is what gives it that muscle car
heritage combined with sexy aggressive Italian styling.
The confluence of the two makes the car uniquely different and desirable.
It's heritage is firmly embedded in automotive history never to be repeated.
HOWEVER!
I know it could be done with components available today for a "reasonable"
cost which is going to become even cheaper in the immediate future.
Which company or vendor will be the first to change with the times and
offer an electric conversion kit?
Who will have the title of owning the worlds first electric powered Pantera?
The benefits of electric power in cars are well documented. The negatives
of ICE as well. Maintenance,gas,oils,and exhaust emissions would all be
virtually eliminated.
I also understand electric power does not grow on trees and it's sources
and means of production are questionable and need to be improved upon. But
that's another discussion.

My only experience,besides a golf cart, of actually driving an electric car
was a go kart and it was, well in a word, awesome!
The feeling of instant torque was so different than anything I'd
experienced before and I liked it.
What if there was a way to convert to electric with the ability to go back
to the ICE in the future if so desired?
That would be ideal but more challenging. It would also attract more
conversions and probably be more widely accepted by the gearhead community.
If it meant no going back could I live with the decision?
There of course would be obstacles to overcome and limited range is always
an issue with batteries.
When a stock body Pantera is altered to reflect the owners taste I usually
cringe.
If the change is on the inside I usually don't have an issue, as long as it
works better and retains the original body lines.
There's always going to be pro's and con's with either power plant.

I'd have to wire up some speakers to mimic the missing V8 rumble!
How would I set off car alarms?
Heck maybe I wouldn't miss it and could converse quietly while listening to
smooth jazz as I silently carve the canyon roads on my way to the nearest
charging station!
Flame suit and mask on,
Matt
P.S. Thanks for your service Kurt!