[DeTomaso] oil leak

Robert Stroj npdrs at maui.net
Sun Apr 19 17:50:01 EDT 2020

Hi Steven,

I had almost same leak on my Fontana block, but it was a coolant, not oil leaking.
It turned out to be of the bolts fixing the engine mount to the block being slightly too long and when it was screwed all the way in it made a small crack at the bottom of the hole letting the coolant leak pass the threads.
After contacting my engine builder he told me it is very common for Fontana blocks as there is not much material in this area and it is common to just use some RTV silicone on the bolt.
I drained the coolant, cleaned hole and reinstalled with RTV; all is good since then.

Not sure if your oil leak could be from same problem, but you could easily just back this bolts and see if oil might be coming out of the hole.

All the best,

Robert