[DeTomaso] How to identify offset bushings?

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 16 10:50:41 EDT 2020

Charlie,

When you say stock, are you referring to press in rubber bushings or a set of aftermarket poly bushings with stock dimensions (i.e. no offset)?

Poly bushings all look pretty much the same and the flange length for offset really isn't very much, after years of abuse they may not be that discernible from stock offset. I have encountered a few folks who think they have offset bushings but they really aren't.

Ideal caster on a wide body car is 6.5 degrees IMO, with the offset bushings and shaved ball joint you can typically get to about 4.5 degrees, which is close to an ideal setting for narrow body, but the added scrub radius of the wheel offset on wide body cars is really helped with 6.5 degrees. My way of achieving that is with the upper a-arm modification.

In recent years adding EPAS has also become popular, which obviously helps with increased steering effort the added caster brings.

Julian