[DeTomaso] slop in steering slip shaft?

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Thu Apr 16 09:36:26 EDT 2020

I had this situation when I got my 73 car 33 years ago. There is a nylon piece on the end of the steering shaft that had bumps molded into it on both sides that caused a tight fit when the steering wheel shaft slipped over it.  The nylon bumps on mine were worn down resulting in a sloppy fit.
To maintain the collapsable function, which will be removed if the two pieces are bolted together, I went to a hobby store and got some brass pieces of various thickness.
I then used the brass material to make shims to fill the space between shaft and the slip coupling to remove the slop.
I also noticed that the bolt on U-joint attaching the steering shaft to the splined shaft of the steering rack was not tight.
Tightening the U-joint bolt and shimming the slip coupling tightened up the steering wheel.
Tom5186