[DeTomaso] Poly vs. Rubber suspension bushings

marshallgsmith marshallgsmith at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 11 18:31:48 EDT 2020

I bought Marino's poly bushings forever ago. I understand that they were impregnated with graphite but I maybe  wrong. They were/are fabulous. My goal was to replace my rotting rubber bushings  and my number one importance was having a comfortable ride. I was afraid of harshness going poly but I literally couldn't feel the difference on the road when installed. They're still great and they never squeaked. I drilled and installed zerk fittings thinking I would have to grease them but never needed to.MarshallSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Jack DeRyke via DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> Date: 4/10/20  1:47 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: rimovp at gmail.com, charlesmccall at gmail.com Cc: DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Poly vs. Rubber suspension bushings Yup- in some car designs they improve NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) for Euro & U.S road specs; not every supercar owner drives accordingly. On a mid-engined performance car with the engine only inches from a driver's ears, poly bushings make zero difference on my dB meter. Also keep in mind there are several hundred polyurethane compounds, all with different degrees of resilence. Pantera vendors likely all use different compounds to fabricate their bushings.Hall's sphere-balls appear to be high density polyethylene. Some 'E-Bay bushings' may not even be urethaneOn our Pantera, I kept pounding out lower rear shock bushings (Koni non-gas shocks) in what passes for normal driving in a Pantera, so I changed them to fix a recurring problem. When I noticed no noise increase, I changed all the shocks, a-arms and swaybar bushings as well. Handling precision improved and still no extra noise. No one that I know has actually evaluated road noise vs bushing durometer except crudely with a dB meter on the console, like I did. They're dirt cheap as far as suspension upgrades go- try a few and see if you can tell the difference.   -----Original Message-----From: Paul A Rimov <rimovp at gmail.com>To: charlesmccall at gmail.comCc: DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.comSent: Thu, Apr 9, 2020 12:13 pmSubject: Re: [DeTomaso] Poly vs. Rubber suspension bushingsMillion dollar super cars that have vastly more sophisticated suspensions and chassis still use rubber bushings. rimovp at gmail.com> On Apr 9, 2020, at 12:30 AM, charlesmccall at gmail.com wrote:> >   Hi all> >  I decided to take advantage of being away from my car to fix a>  long-time engine oil leak by removing my suspension, radiator, etc>  😊> > >  You know how these things go... I asked the guy to check the car over>  while he had the engine out, and the task list is growing, so my car is>  in a bunch of pieces right now.> > >  Mike Drew is helping source parts for me, and he asked if I wanted poly>  or rubber bushings. I know that this subject has been discussed a>  million times, but I didn't take notes. My specific question:> > >    1. Is it commonly accepted that poly is better but will squeak without>      proper lubrication? Rubber is maintenance-free but degrades over>      time and doesn't work quite as well?>    2. How difficult is it to lubricate them? Is this a matter of>      installing a zerk fitting and zapping it once a year? Do you wipe>      it on? How easy is it to access them without a lift?> >  Thank you!> _______________________________________________> > > Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCA> Posted emails must not exceed 1.5 Megabytes> DeTomaso mailing list> DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com> http://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso> > To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use the links above.> > Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages._______________________________________________Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCAPosted emails must not exceed 1.5 MegabytesDeTomaso mailing listDeTomaso at server.detomasolist.comhttp://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomasoTo manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use the links above.Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages.
-------------- next part --------------

   rimovp at gmail.com
   > On Apr 9, 2020, at 12:30 AM, charlesmccall at gmail.com wrote:
   >
   >   Hi all
   >
   >  I decided to take advantage of being away from my car to fix a
   >  long-time engine oil leak by removing my suspension, radiator, etc
   >

   >  You know how these things go... I asked the guy to check the car
   over
   >  while he had the engine out, and the task list is growing, so my car
   is
   >  in a bunch of pieces right now.
   >

   >  Mike Drew is helping source parts for me, and he asked if I wanted
   poly
   >  or rubber bushings. I know that this subject has been discussed a
   >  million times, but I didn't take notes. My specific question:
   >

   >    1. Is it commonly accepted that poly is better but will squeak
   without
   >      proper lubrication? Rubber is maintenance-free but degrades over
   >      time and doesn't work quite as well?
   >    2. How difficult is it to lubricate them? Is this a matter of
   >      installing a zerk fitting and zapping it once a year? Do you
   wipe
   >      it on? How easy is it to access them without a lift?
   >
   >  Thank you!

   use the links above.