[DeTomaso] Poly vs. Rubber suspension bushings

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Thu Apr 9 14:24:29 EDT 2020

Dear Charlie,

             Polyurethane (sphere bar or sphere ball?)  versus stock OEM rubber sway bar end and center mounts, is the real topic of discussion?

             OK, based on my experience.

             Of all the suspension mods I have made over three decades, the sphere-bar/ball sway bar end mount and the central poly mounts have been the least dramatic improvement.

             When the inherent hindrances of the stock arrangement were pointed out to me, I was convinced that the stock arrangement was not optimal.  There were a handful of expensive improvements available, which a few people, mostly racers, utilized.  Then the sphere bars/balls became available.   I have them on both cars.  I have the impression that they do work as advertised and handling seems to be incrementally better than stock.   I do not find a phenomenal improvement. There is a subtle improvement.

            Oh---and there is no squeaking with either the sphere bars nor the center poly bushings.   There is no need to lubricate them although I do dose them gently with some silicone spray lube once every two or three years.

          Given your proclivities for driving your Pantera, I would recommend them to you.

                          Warmest regards, Chuck Engles