[DeTomaso] Poly vs. Rubber suspension bushings

Dick Koch redcatman74 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:03:45 EDT 2020

Charles, FYI, the attached links from my restoration diary on
Panteraplace.com  show the installation of the poly bushing in my
suspension, and the zerk fitting installed:
http://www.panteraplace.com/Tech%20Info/Koch%20122%205.jpg
http://www.panteraplace.com/Tech%20Info/Koch%20122%206.jpg
http://www.panteraplace.com/Tech%20Info/Koch%20122%207.jpg

An additional recommendation, while you have the suspension disassembled, I
would inspect your rear uprights to insure the axle bearings are okay. If
not, replace or upgrade your bearings.

Aside from the axle bearing, I would recommend as a minimum refreshing the
upright lower support shaft (See diagram). As much driving as you have
done, this assembly can have serious deterioration. When I refurbished
mine, I also installed a zerk fitting to refresh the lubrication
periodically, as shown in following link from my rebuild diary:
http://www.panteraplace.com/Tech%20Info/Koch%20122%2016.jpg

By the way, it would be nice to see some pictures of your "refresh" along
the way.

Take care.

Dick Koch - Atlanta

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020, 7:04 AM Dick Koch <redcatman74 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Charles, I like Thomas used poly bushings when I refurbished my suspension
> 16 years ago. I installed zerk fittings on all points as well. When I
> reinstalled the suspension, I used antiseize lubricant.  I have had no
> squeaking issues.
>
> As you are, I am going through a refresh of the engine and have the car
> apart to do some upgrades. You don't need a lift to grease the suspension
> (jack stands will do) but while I have my car on my lift, I went through
> and gave each a shot of antiseize lubricant. Really simple.
>
> In my opinion, installing zerk fittings is a worthwhile upgrade that
> insures a way to eliminate any squeaking issues down the road.
>
> One caveat, insure the zerk fittings are positioned to accommodate access
> by a grease gun nozzle. To do so, before I dismantled my suspension, I
> located each zerk fitting location to insure I could reach and position it
> to grease the fitting.
>
> Dick Koch - Atlanta
>

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020, 3:30 AM <charlesmccall at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>    Hi all
>>
>>    I decided to take advantage of being away from my car to fix a
>>    long-time engine oil leak by removing my suspension, radiator, etc
>>    😊
>>

>>    You know how these things go... I asked the guy to check the car over
>>    while he had the engine out, and the task list is growing, so my car is
>>    in a bunch of pieces right now.
>>

>>    Mike Drew is helping source parts for me, and he asked if I wanted poly
>>    or rubber bushings. I know that this subject has been discussed a
>>    million times, but I didn't take notes. My specific question:
>>

>>     1. Is it commonly accepted that poly is better but will squeak without
>>        proper lubrication? Rubber is maintenance-free but degrades over
>>        time and doesn't work quite as well?
>>     2. How difficult is it to lubricate them? Is this a matter of
>>        installing a zerk fitting and zapping it once a year? Do you wipe
>>        it on? How easy is it to access them without a lift?
>>
>>    Thank you!
>>
>> To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use
>> the links above.
>>
>> Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any
>> message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the list.
>> They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve
>> the archiving of list messages.

-------------- next part --------------
   Charles, FYI, the attached links from my restoration diary on
   Panteraplace.comA  show the installation of the poly bushing in my
   suspension, and the zerk fitting installed:
   [1]http://www.panteraplace.com/Tech%20Info/Koch%20122%205.jpg
   [2]http://www.panteraplace.com/Tech%20Info/Koch%20122%206.jpg
   [3]http://www.panteraplace.com/Tech%20Info/Koch%20122%207.jpg
   An additional recommendation, while you have the suspension
   disassembled, I would inspect your rear uprights to insure the axle
   bearings are okay. If not, replace or upgrade your bearings.A
   Aside from the axle bearing, I would recommend as a minimum refreshing
   the upright lower support shaft (See diagram). As much driving as you
   have done, this assembly can have serious deterioration. When I
   refurbished mine, I also installed a zerk fitting to refresh the
   lubrication periodically, as shown inA following link from my rebuild
   diary:
   [4]http://www.panteraplace.com/Tech%20Info/Koch%20122%2016.jpg
   By the way, it would be nice to see some pictures of your "refresh"
   along the way.A
   Take care.
   Dick Koch - Atlanta

   On Thu, Apr 9, 2020, 7:04 AM Dick Koch <[5]redcatman74 at gmail.com>
   Charles, I like Thomas used poly bushings when I refurbished my
   suspension 16 years ago. I installed zerk fittings on all points as
   well. When I reinstalled the suspension, I used antiseize
   lubricant.A A I have had no squeaking issues.
   As you are, I am going through a refresh of the engine and have the car
   apart to do some upgrades. You don't need a lift to grease the
   suspension (jack stands will do) but while I have my car on my lift, I
   went through and gave each a shot of antiseize lubricant. Really
   simple.
   In my opinion, installing zerk fittings is a worthwhile upgradeA that
   insures a way to eliminate any squeaking issues down the road.A