[DeTomaso] Soldering/brazing aluminum

B. SEIB oldwheel at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 30 18:46:37 EDT 2019

Was this TIG welded Thomas?

Barry
__________

[DeTomaso] Soldering/brazing aluminum
Thomas Törnblom thomas at hax.se
Wed Oct 30 15:48:20 EDT 2019

A few weeks ago I learned that you can solder/braze aluminum and pot metal
using zinc solder. I assume you would be able to solder/braze magnesium
alloys too, which would be interesting as I recently bought a used camera
that turned out to have a cracked front cover and it is made of a magnesium
alloy.

I ordered some pure zinc wire from Amazon, which arrived yesterday.

I had already gotten a used, non cracked,  front cover and fixed the camera,
so I could play with the cracked piece without any risk.

Tonight I played with it and started by brazing together two pieces of
aluminum, which turned out good. I then tried the front cover, but that is
very thin and it melted through before I could get the zinc to flow
properly.

Here is a picture of the brazed two aluminum pieces: