[DeTomaso] Reconditioning dead batteries

j g notstock at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 29 12:03:02 EDT 2019

 I Can remember a day back in the 1960's where every service station used to actually fill your tank, sell tires , batteries etc: Gasoline was 7 cents a gallon and 3 cents was taxes. During that time frame  there was a whole after market industry that did what was called "rebuild a battery" .   I can remember going  to one of these rebuild facilities in the  area we lived in. In the least case the battery was drained flushed  vibrated to dislodge any material that has fallen off the plates and then re-flushed. Filled with new acid solution and an additive containing a cadmium salt, The batteries were let sit for over night then charged and discharged rapidly for a couple of times then put on a normal charge, (10-25A)  this usually fixed the battery back to a level it could last a couple of years sometimes . ( we used rebuilder batteries on all the farm equipment and  the older cars)  A large percentage of the batteries returned for rebuild by the stations fell into this category. They  were sold at a relaxed price compared to a new one and usually had a 30 day warranty ( My grandfather worked at  a service station as a do it all guy in the small town).
Sometimes this was done with the re builder  company removing the whole top or bottom  of the battery case then re fusing it on when all the mechanical stuff and flushing was completed .  when the bottom was cut off the batteries if i remember correctly they were pressure flushed and the whole plate stack was inspected and then went through a couple of washes in a agitated tank  then to the next and finally into a tank that had a cadmium salt additive and a slow current applied between the battery plates ( terminal ) and the Cadmium Bath and held for some time (4 hours if i remember from me  sitting there over many days ).   They did replace plates or whole cells from  other junked batteries that had come in as unservicable sometimes or  in the premium battery new cells as applicable to price ,  The batteries were  then refused with their tops or bases  ( some kind of  thick tar like  goo)  and  tested for leaks  after a cure time , a couple of days in a big area.  The high end of the rebuilder batteries  were still about half the cost of the same battery new.  One reason my grand father swore by the batteries is because they let him pick the guts he was going to put into the battery as well as help by doing a lot of the work on his battery and he would try and pack as many plates as he could in each cell from other batteries . This made starting a tractor much easier. Sure was different when you could go into a  factory doing repair work and actually see what was going on.
MY take by me  using either EDTA or Cadmium based additives is that most batteries can be brought back without ever taking them apart , I do individual cell high rate charging and the whole battery crow bar short testing  , Usually can get 6 to 7 years out of a lawn and garden tractor and 11 to 12 years out of a low end  car battery. The electronic desulate chargers do work and unless there is large crap shorting cells  in the bottom  I have had very good success in this, (  I do have a very good materials science education and engineering/ Physics graduate paper)

jg