[DeTomaso] Battery Cable Ends, OK to solder?

steve at snclocks.com steve at snclocks.com
Fri Oct 25 08:59:47 EDT 2019

Dem's some hot leads!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: DeTomaso <detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com> On Behalf Of Larry
Weston
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2019 4:06 AM
To: Asa Jay Laughton <asajay at asajay.com>
Cc: Detomaso Email List <detomaso at detomasolist.com>
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Battery Cable Ends, OK to solder?

I soldered lugs on some welding leads and started welding extensions onto
the worn track shoes. After a bit, the heat of the current draw melted the
the solder right out of the lugs.
A good mechanical connection is best.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 24, 2019, at 11:12 AM, Asa Jay Laughton <asajay at asajay.com> wrote:
>
>   Whichever way works best.
>
>   From Del City Wire, some options:
>
>   [1]https://m.delcity.net/store/Straight-Copper-Battery-Terminals/p_1426
>   5.h_792476
>
>   [2]https://www.delcity.net/store/Hex!Crimp-Heavy-Duty-Crimping-Tool/p_1
>   0380
>
>   [3]https://www.delcity.net/documents/movies/battery_terminals.mpg
>
>   [4]https://m.delcity.net/store/Straight-Barrel-Fusion-Battery-Terminals
>   /p_804069.h_804070
>
>   AsaA  Jay
>
>   AsaA  JayA  Laughton, W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, retired
>
>   Sent using Jedi Mind Tricks
>
>   On Oct 24, 2019, at 07:37, [5]steve at snclocks.com wrote:
>
> The thing I love most about individual decisions is we each get to
> live with what we choose.  I sure am glad batteries are put together
> properly and all that lead doesn't just vibrate away!
> But, honestly - The hardness of pure lead is 1.5 on the Mohs scale
> (between talc and gypsum: it can be scratched by the fingernail), and
> its tensile strength is only 2000 psi. ... Lead anneals itself
> (recrystallizes) at room temperature, so cold work does not harden it.
> Hmmm - tensile of 2,000 psi - wow.  Make no mistake - I crimp
> connections before I solder them - heck fire - how am I supposed to
> keep that little metal thingie on the wire if I don't crimp it in some
> way.  And, if the solder does in fact tin the surface of the wire -
> wow - tough to break that grip.  I've never seen soldered connections
> loosen with time - but I've also never seen a unicorn.  Doesn't mean there
aren't unicorns out there...
> The main thing is to get your cars out and drive the piss out of them.
> Oh - could someone teach factories how to properly solder and/or
> crimp???  I won't even begin to go there on the really crap
> aftermarket work I see on electrical systems - cold solder joints anyone?
> Stephen

Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCA Posted emails must not exceed 1.5
Megabytes DeTomaso mailing list DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com