[DeTomaso] Glue-in Windshield Re-use?

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Nov 26 14:39:10 EST 2019

Glue-in windshields are removable, with difficulty depending on circumstances. I've removed glue-ins on cars without glass damage using the wire method: a short piece of strong wire with handles on both ends is poked through the glue joint and a person both inside and out slowly and carefully pulls the wire all the way around to cut the glue. Takes maybe 45 minutes if you've done it before. There are also special knives with right-angle blades- some are heated, to do the same thing from the outside-only (never used one). Both work because the 'glue' is more like 1/4" thick x 1/2" wide putty and is fairly soft and flexible even after being in place for years.

I've done this several times, but only on cars that were designed for such windshields, and the Pantera or Mangusta were not. So it sort of depends on how flat the weld mods were done and how wide the added flange is, as to how much difficulty you (or a specialty shop) will have in pulling glass intact. Most modern coupes and sedans have glued in back windows too. Large coils of glass 'stickum' are available at big paint stores. Replacing the glass is where the skill comes in because fresh glue grabs the glass instantly so repositioning is close to impossible; you start over. Setting the heavy, bulky glass in place slowly minimizes air bubbles that can cause water leaks.

It also depends on why you need the glass removed. I caught a rock on the way to work one day that cracked my glued-in windshield all the way across, and called a shop that advertised quick replacement in site. A guy in a van showed up with a new glass during lunch hour. After looking at it, we decided the car was unsafe to drive & I would likely get a fix-ti-ticket on the way home. He placed a heavy mover's blanket on the hood, sat down in the passenger seat and calmly kicked the glass out onto the blanket!  Note- this also works with cracked gasketed windshields.

A big sharp putty knife trimmed the old glue off the frame along with some chips, a new bead of putty was run around, and he carefully placed the new glass in place. He gathered up the blanket with the glass in place and was gone in 15 minutes. Fresh glue needs about an hour to stabilize so it's best not to drive for awhile. Glass shops hold the new windshield in place from the roof and sides with duct tape so it can't shift down and the gaps are made even using plastic shims. If you've ever put down ceramic tile squares in a kitchen or bathroom, the experience is similar. Good luck.

  Can the Wilkinson glue-in windshields be removed and re-used without
  breaking them? I'm a little skeptical. I'm looking for help in
  answering the question, not to debate the windshield approach!
  Corey

   use the links above.