[DeTomaso] Hammer Price Portfolio Report - Sunday, November 24, 2019

Peter Havlik peterhavlik at me.com
Mon Nov 25 14:00:36 EST 2019

Just a bit of history behind these two GT5s, for those interested in the importation of De Tomaso cars into the U.S.A. in the 1980s:

Both of these cars were originally sold when new through Guy Anderson, who was a distributor of De Tomasos in the USA in the early 1980s. His company was called Exotic Car Store and was located in Smyrna, Georgia. Belgian De Tomaso distributor Claude Dubois used Guy as his U.S. importer/distributor for many cars until they had a parting of the ways. Claude’s arrangement was for Guy to modify the cars to comply with U.S. regulatory requirements, but Claude had to stop dealing with Guy when he discovered that Guy had not been respecting that agreement. Claude then switched, with the backing of De Tomaso, from Guy to George Stauffer as his U.S. distributor (Stauffer Classics of Blue Mounds, Wisconsin).

Claude’s company was called Special Automotive Marketing, and it operated from 1969 to 1986.

As for, #9385 was sold in 1984 by Claude Dubois through Guy Anderson to Barry Mandell of Smyrna, Georgia. Anderson later reacquired it at some point and, as Julian has noted, Guy's estate eventually sold it for $75k USD this past May at a Mecum auction in Indianapolis.

#9200, with the red white and blue BMW style paint job, was also originally sold by Claude Dubois. Claude's records show he sold it to someone named Boghemans through a distributor named RMC, but Guy claims it was bought through him by a Lamar Cheatham in 1983 (and that Guy then bought it back from Cheatham in 2009).  Obviously there is a discrepancy here, but the auctioneer in 2019 claimed the car came with documentation that proved Claude sold it through Guy. I reached out to Guy a couple of times some years ago to try to get more information but he was not cooperative. I believe Guy passed away in 2018, so that avenue of inquiry is now closed, but I plan to reach out to Claude to try to confirm what really happened.

As Julian has reported below, Guy’s estate sold #9200 for $41,000 at the same May 2019 Mecum auction as #9385.

- Peter

------

Message: 6