[DeTomaso] Brakes

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sun Nov 17 18:42:52 EST 2019

If you're speaking of a true bolt-on legal e-brake, none except for lucking into a rare NOS kit made by Marino Perna at Pantera East a couple of decades back. It used a pair of small, light Wilwood mechanical spot-brake calipers for go-karts mounted on the unused Pantera upright tabs. Marino also made a version that fits Dodge Vipers. Calipers are still available from Wilwood, but need the custom brackets to mount each sliding caliper and minor changes to Pantera brake cables to work. I've run my version of this road legal e-brake on our '72 L since about 1995 with no problems except road noise, as it does not have anti-rattle springs on the small pads.

All other kits will also need such a bracket or other adaption and some engineering to fit the Pantera.  Wilwood also makes their version of the old '63-up Corvette mechanical e-brake. This was a small two-shoe drum brake that fits inside a rear brake rotor's hat section, but will need much engineering to adapt to a Pantera. If you  have extensive experience in such work- and the shop equipment available, you could make either system work. As Julian said, Hall Pantera also once sold an adaption of the '90s Camaro hydraulic rear calipers with a built-in e-brake system. But such kits are long out of production.

What options are available for the rear brakes that are not stock and have a working parking break, that can either be modified to work or bolt directly to the upright and work with the stock rotors?

Sent from my iPhone

   use the links above.