[DeTomaso] Interesting Robertshaw 333-180 thermostat design change

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Nov 17 00:19:56 EST 2019

Bud,

Great question.

The Cleveland thermostat is designed to block off most of the water from circulating around and around in the engine once it opens up. The hat fills most of the hole, so most of the water goes forward to the radiator, and only a bit continues to circulate in the engine (promotes even cooling and helps prevent hot and cold spots).

The Windsor thermostat protrusion is too small so it allows too much water to circulate in the engine and bypass the radiator.  Often a 351C with a Windsor thermostat will run sort of okay temp-wise at freeway speeds, but invariably it will overheat at low speeds. All the radiator/fans in the world does no good if the water never reaches it.

Too, if the orifice is blocked off completely/permanently, water will not circulate at ALL until the water near the thermostat heats up enough to open it up. By that time there could be localized hot spots or steam pockets elsewhere in the engine, which can lead to blown head gaskets etc.

When the thermostat eventually opens in that case, the hot water goes forward and unadulterated cold water enters the engine from the completely cold radiator. WHAM!  The block experiences thermal shock. The cold water will reach the thermostat and it will snap shut, then the water in the motor will heat up (too much) again, over and over until eventually equilibrium is reached.

You can mitigate this by at least drilling a hole in the device you use to block off the orifice, so that some water circulated through the engine at all times.

But the real solution is to RESPECT the designers who created the cooling system, by using a proper Cleveland thermostat and disc (and making sure the air is bled out of the system, or else all bets are off....)

Cheers!

Mike

Sent from my iPad