[DeTomaso] Insurance

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 27 19:25:38 EDT 2019

Larry,

I’m so glad you mentioned your policy.

You are getting SCREWED.

You say you have a Stated Value policy with a major insurance company. Do you know what that means? If means YOU say your car is worth X, and based on that, they charge you some amount. Nowhere in your policy does it say that THEY agree that your car is worth what you stated it is, nor are they obligated to pay you any specific amount in the event of a total loss. When and if you were subject to a loss, they would handle it like any other claim to a conventional car.  They would perform their own analysis and do ‘comps’, including all sorts of horrible examples like that rusted-out wreck we discussed yesterday, then come up with an average value, and offer that to you, and no more.

The rest of us have AGREED VALUE policies, where both the insured and the company AGREE in writing what they settlement would be in the event of a loss.

Many years ago I had a friend with a immaculate ‘72 Corvette roadster. He had it insured with USAA on a stated value policy with a value of $20k, which was top dollar for such a car then, and he paid accordingly.  When it was stolen, USAA looked at similar year/make/model cars for sale in Autotrader etc and gave him $11.5k. When he protested, they told him he was welcome to sue them, and pointed out that by the time he paid his attorney’s fees, even if he prevailed and received a settlement of $20k, he would be left with less than the $11.5k they were initially offering.

He couldn’t argue with the logic, and reluctantly accepted half what his car was worth, and slunk away, never owning a nice car again.

If you phone your agent and ask exactly what they would pay out in the event of a loss, he will evade and dodge the question with meaningless tripe like “Don’t worry, we will take care of you”. If he says they would your stated amount, demand he put that in writing. Either the tap-dancing will begin, or you actually have an agreed value policy, which is what you want.

The third option is Actual Cash Value policy, which is just an ordinary policy. With an ACV policy, you get no input at all.  They just charge what they want to charge, and then make a settlement based solely on what they want to give you. In terms of the settlement it’s no different from a stated value policy. The only difference is that they don’t trick you into making a statement of what you think your car is worth in the false belief that the statement is meaningful in any way.

Mike

Sent from my iPad