[DeTomaso] Distributors

billmoore6480 billmoore6480 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 17:05:07 EDT 2019

I have had a MSD for eight (8) years and 45,000 miles with any issues, touch wood.Bill Moore 403-860-4300Calgary, Alberta
-------- Original message --------From: Richard Greenblum <richard at richardgreenblum.com> Date: 2019-03-19  12:57 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: jderyke at aol.com, detomaso at server.detomasolist.com Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Distributors Thanks Jack.  The Pertronix system is considerably cheaper, but I can’t let that swing the needle on an entirely brand new engine.  I’ve read about both suffering failures (although not as bad as Boeing—Mike, stay out of those Max’s) so I’m trying to weigh the odds. RichardAustin, TX  From: jderyke at aol.com <jderyke at aol.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 2:48 PMTo: richard at richardgreenblum.com; detomaso at server.detomasolist.comSubject: Re: [DeTomaso] Distributors Richard, my only experience with Pertronix is, its the one and only electronic distributor package I've ever found that can PARTIALLY fail! The one in question would start fine and run up to about 2000 rpms, then begin misfiring. Replacing the drop-in fixed it. Very odd....J DeRyke   -----Original Message-----From: Richard Greenblum <richard at richardgreenblum.com <mailto:richard at richardgreenblum.com> >To: De Tomaso List <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com <mailto:detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> >Sent: Tue, Mar 19, 2019 5:43 amSubject: [DeTomaso] Distributors  Anybody have experience with the Pertronix "Stock Look" Ford  distributor?  I'm considering the MSD 8477 and Pertronix D134620 for my  new engine (351C).  Both require boxes--even though the Pertronix can  be used without one, in order to get the same power, multi-spark, and  rev-limiter, you need their box.  It will be a moderate engine with max  revs at around 6,000.  If you're familiar with Mike Drew's motor, it  will be a little less than that.  I will be asking the engine builder  (same as Mike's) the same question but haven't wanted to bother him  with just the one question.    My concern is that the Pertronix might not be "enough" distributor.  It  is cast with bushings while the MSD is billet with ball bearings.  I've  researched them and both have the same reviews of both praise and  disdain.    Thanks,    Richard   Austin, TX_______________________________________________Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCAPosted emails must not exceed 1.5 MegabytesDeTomaso mailing listDeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com <mailto:DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com> http://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomasoTo manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use the links above.Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages.   Thanks Jack.  The Pertronix system is considerably cheaper, but I can't   let that swing the needle on an entirely brand new engine.  I've read   about both suffering failures (although not as bad as Boeing--Mike,   stay out of those Max's) so I'm trying to weigh the odds.   Richard   Austin, TX   From: jderyke at aol.com <jderyke at aol.com>   Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 2:48 PM   To: richard at richardgreenblum.com; detomaso at server.detomasolist.com   Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Distributors   Richard, my only experience with Pertronix is, its the one and only   electronic distributor package I've ever found that can PARTIALLY fail!   The one in question would start fine and run up to about 2000 rpms,   then begin misfiring. Replacing the drop-in fixed it. Very odd....   J DeRyke   -----Original Message-----   From: Richard Greenblum <[1]richard at richardgreenblum.com>   To: De Tomaso List <[2]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>   Sent: Tue, Mar 19, 2019 5:43 am   Subject: [DeTomaso] Distributors     Anybody have experience with the Pertronix "Stock Look" Ford     distributor?  I'm considering the MSD 8477 and Pertronix D134620 for   my     new engine (351C).  Both require boxes--even though the Pertronix can     be used without one, in order to get the same power, multi-spark, and     rev-limiter, you need their box.  It will be a moderate engine with   max     revs at around 6,000.  If you're familiar with Mike Drew's motor, it     will be a little less than that.  I will be asking the engine builder     (same as Mike's) the same question but haven't wanted to bother him     with just the one question.     My concern is that the Pertronix might not be "enough" distributor.   It     is cast with bushings while the MSD is billet with ball bearings.   I've     researched them and both have the same reviews of both praise and     disdain.     Thanks,     Richard     Austin, TX   _______________________________________________   Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCA   Posted emails must not exceed 1.5 Megabytes   DeTomaso mailing list   [3]DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com   [4]http://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso   To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.)   use the links above.   Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any   message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the   list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive   or approve the archiving of list messages.References   1. mailto:richard at richardgreenblum.com   2. mailto:detomaso at server.detomasolist.com   3. mailto:DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com   4. http://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso_______________________________________________Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCAPosted emails must not exceed 1.5 MegabytesDeTomaso mailing listDeTomaso at server.detomasolist.comhttp://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomasoTo manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use the links above.Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages.
   I have had a MSD for eight (8) years and 45,000 miles with any issues,
   touch wood.

   Bill Moore

   403-860-4300

   Calgary, Alberta