[DeTomaso] Distributors

Richard Greenblum richard at richardgreenblum.com
Tue Mar 19 08:43:23 EDT 2019

Anybody have experience with the Pertronix “Stock Look” Ford distributor?  I’m considering the MSD 8477 and Pertronix D134620 for my new engine (351C).  Both require boxes—even though the Pertronix can be used without one, in order to get the same power, multi-spark, and rev-limiter, you need their box.  It will be a moderate engine with max revs at around 6,000.  If you’re familiar with Mike Drew’s motor, it will be a little less than that.  I will be asking the engine builder (same as Mike’s) the same question but haven’t wanted to bother him with just the one question.

My concern is that the Pertronix might not be “enough” distributor.  It is cast with bushings while the MSD is billet with ball bearings.  I’ve researched them and both have the same reviews of both praise and disdain.

Thanks,

Richard

Austin, TX