[DeTomaso] [EXTERNAL] An orphaned AC cooled intercooler project

Jeff Cobb jeffcobb1 at me.com
Mon Mar 18 20:22:47 EDT 2019

Using an a/c evaporator to chill a tanked bath of glycol water that is electrically pumped through the inter cooler is one of if not the most efficient and smartest intercooler designs made. Imagine pumping high boost air well below ambient into your highly stressed hot engine. Thermal loads disappear, power is increased so boost could be lowered for same power.
Win win.
Of course parasitic compressor drag is more than offset by a cooler long block.
Nitrous is great but a hassle.
In 1984 my wife and I drove 120 miles into Mississippi to go camping. It was August, miserably hot and muggy, in our 71 280 4.5 se which I installed some CHEVY nitrous kit on. Drilled the throttle body and slid in a nitrous spray bar and drilled same and placed in a k-jetronic fuel injector for the gas. Got into a race with a 69? GTO, he would max at 120 or so and we at 143 for about 50 miles+ -.
We we pulled off at our exit, a/c on the entire time, the car had a high idle 1800rpm. What now!?!? Hard to brake!?!!
Opened the hot ass hood and found a COLD intake t body and intake which made thermal time switch think of winter and set up the idle speed.
Never used the nitrous for longer than six seconds at a time. I was chilling the engines thermal mass just like the a/c chiller will.
My shop and I are preparing to place an dedicated a/c chiller system onto a 2008 Bentley Flying Spur. The 50 amp compressor and insulated alloy chill tank are trunk mounted with condenser mounted on top of a airfoil tray mounted under trunk, just for of its ground effects trunk floor, which can be lowered at speed to a downforce loving 34deg by an electric stepper motor actuator on 4 sway bar link end pivoted parallelogram. While the cooler end will use 6 or more large long Laminova intercoolers buried in the intake with OEM air/air still intercoolers connected.
This is for highway power so airflow will be my friend.
Had to be wordy to get it all out.
Take care guys and gals,
Jeff Cobb
Sent from my brain.