[DeTomaso] Distributor / Radio Plate

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Mar 8 16:33:02 EST 2019

Hi Richard- been a while since we spoke. As far as I know, ALL narrow body Panteras have about the same engine position relative to distributor cap clearance. But it is quite possible to shift the whole powertrain backward any distance up to about 7/8" for big-cap clearance. Beyond 7/8" of movement, an Aviaid oil pan sump will hit the stock (or removable) crossmember under the engine, and the upper bay-brace may touch a stock external clutch slave cylinder mount.

The backward shift mods consist of drilling a new hole in the upper engine mounts (or switching stock offset-drilled motormounts side-for-side for max reposition), and bending a shallow 'S' in the soft steel ears of the ZF mount tabs and adding washers. Shifting the powertrain backward helps if you want to minimize the firewall bulge for passenger leg room, too. Done carefully, all this looks stock.
Cheers- J Deryke