[DeTomaso] 1989 Pantera Replica for sale

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 16:45:28 EDT 2019

> My dad had a Ford Granada

Mine too.  It was surprising for the era.  If you checked the right boxes,
you could get them with 4 wheel disc brakes (using the disc brake equipped
Ford 9" rear end from the Lincoln Versailles), a heavy duty suspension
(stiffer springs and shocks) and even a 4 speed manual SROD transmission
(essentially an aluminum case overdrive version of the toploader 4 speed).
You could even get a 351W in it, though dad's was a 302.  In fact, I can't
ever remember seeing on with the 351W.  Being the malaise era, both were
only available with a 2V carb but they responded to the usual tweaks (small
chamber 289 heads to boost the compression, Comp 268H or 270H cam, Ford
C90X high rise dual plane, larger Autolite 4 barrel, and Mustang tri-y
headers).  Dad's even had glasspacks.

> that thing was amazing handling after he had a local speed shop make a
few minor tweaks

They shared their suspension design with the Maverick and early
Mustang/Falcon.  Completely conventional but things like under-rider bars,
Koni shocks, larger Addco sway bars and upper control arm relocation (ala
Shelby GT-350) really perked them up.  One thing that let them done a bit
was the power steering.  They still used the early Mustang power steering
system with the horizontal hydraulic cylinder, instead of the Saginaw boxes
that the '71-'73 Mustangs got.  However, you could add the Shelby quick
steer kit (longer Pitman and idler arm) and the spring in the valve could
be altered to dial down the assist.

Dad's had reclining bucket seats with surprisingly aggressive side
bolsters.  I've looked at some of the brochures from the period but haven't
come across those seats but I'm sure they were a factory option as they
matched the rest of the interior.

> The MK1 Granada in 2 door coupe version is very reminiscent of the De
Tomaso Longchamp or vice versa in my opinion.

I'd still opt for the Longchamp because Cleveland and Italian :-)

Dan Jones