[DeTomaso] Engine stalls on start up -Help!!!

billmoore6480 billmoore6480 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 20:40:15 EDT 2019

I have had an INTERSTATE battery in my car for eight years. The car has sat for a month several times. Always starts, never ever an issue. Fill the tank with gasoline, 1st step. CheersBill MooreCalgary 403.860.4300
-------- Original message --------From: Julian Kift <julian_kift at hotmail.com> Date: 2019-07-27  5:43 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: detomasoregistry at gmail.com, Panteratime <panteratime at aol.com> Cc: detomaso at server.detomasolist.com Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Engine stalls on start up -Help!!! If it's that low on gas you may have started picking up the dregs in the tank, which may have some water in it given hygroscopic nature of ethanol blended fuels. Also fuel evaporates from fuel bowls etc. and leaves a layer of varnish which takes a little while to wash back off. Do you aheva cold satrt (choke) circuit? If so is it manual or electric and functional?Modern AGM batteries don't like being fully discharged, in fact it cuts their life in half, I always keep a trickle charger on the car when not in use for more than a week, there is likely always some level of parasitic drain.Julian________________________________From: DeTomaso <detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com> on behalf of Panteratime via DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2019 4:01 PMTo: detomasoregistry at gmail.com <detomasoregistry at gmail.com>Cc: detomaso at server.detomasolist.com <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Engine stalls on start up -Help!!!thanks Chuck--Will put trickle charge on this evening.  step 1 !-----Original Message-----From: The DeTomaso Registry Guy <detomasoregistry at gmail.com>To: 'Panteratime' <panteratime at aol.com>Cc: List DeTomaso Forum <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>Sent: Sat, Jul 27, 2019 5:48 pmSubject: RE: [DeTomaso] Engine stalls on start up -Help!!!Folks,Scenario:  1972-stock motor with Demon carb--ran great only a few months ago.  Took seats out ot reupholster.  Car sat for amonth Car starts and stalls Give it gas-fights to stay runningObservations:Very low on gasAmmeter pinned to right the entire minute  the car was fighting to run.Added some gas--definitely off E but not a 1/4 tank  ran much longer but still had to feather gas to keep running--Ammeter pinned toright all the time car was struggling to keep runningI haven't run the car in a month.Suggestions?  Thoughts?  Thanks!!!>>>First deal with the charging issue.Any car (battery) stored for a while will likely need a top-off charge before driving.It can be hard on the system when at max charge for longer periods.  Why strain the car'selectrical system.*Put a trickle charger directly on the battery until charged.As to the starting or running, it might be the fuel pump (weak, old, or diaphragm failing).You symptoms may be fuel starvation.Should I continue ?Chuck   If it's that low on gas you may have started picking up the dregs in   the tank, which may have some water in it given hygroscopic nature of   ethanol blended fuels. Also fuel evaporates from fuel bowls etc. and   leaves a layer of varnish which takes a little while to wash back off.   Do you aheva cold satrt (choke) circuit? If so is it manual or electric   and functional?   Modern AGM batteries don't like being fully discharged, in fact it cuts   their life in half, I always keep a trickle charger on the car when not   in use for more than a week, there is likely always some level of   parasitic drain.   Julian     __________________________________________________________________   From: DeTomaso <detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com> on behalf of   Panteratime via DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>   Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2019 4:01 PM   To: detomasoregistry at gmail.com <detomasoregistry at gmail.com>   Cc: detomaso at server.detomasolist.com <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>   Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Engine stalls on start up -Help!!!   thanks Chuck--Will put trickle charge on this evening.  step 1 !   -----Original Message-----   From: The DeTomaso Registry Guy <detomasoregistry at gmail.com>   To: 'Panteratime' <panteratime at aol.com>   Cc: List DeTomaso Forum <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>   Sent: Sat, Jul 27, 2019 5:48 pm   Subject: RE: [DeTomaso] Engine stalls on start up -Help!!!   Folks,Scenario:  1972-stock motor with Demon carb--ran great only a few   months ago.  Took seats out ot reupholster.  Car sat for a   month Car starts and stalls Give it gas-fights to stay running   Observations:Very low on gasAmmeter pinned to right the entire minute   the car was fighting to run.   Added some gas--definitely off E but not a 1/4 tank  ran much longer   but still had to feather gas to keep running--Ammeter pinned to   right all the time car was struggling to keep running   I haven't run the car in a month.   Suggestions?  Thoughts?  Thanks!!!   >>>First deal with the charging issue.   Any car (battery) stored for a while will likely need a top-off charge   before driving.   It can be hard on the system when at max charge for longer periods.   Why strain the car's   electrical system.   *Put a trickle charger directly on the battery until charged.   As to the starting or running, it might be the fuel pump (weak, old, or   diaphragm failing).   You symptoms may be fuel starvation.   Should I continue ?   Chuck_______________________________________________Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCAPosted emails must not exceed 1.5 MegabytesDeTomaso mailing listDeTomaso at server.detomasolist.comhttp://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomasoTo manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use the links above.Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages.