[DeTomaso] Thermostat Question for the team!

Dennis Valdez sjcarguy60 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 20:30:18 EDT 2019

Hello all,
I'm changing the Thermostat on my car and have run into a problem that I need some opinions on.
My car is completely stock and I don't think the Tstat has ever been replaced.  Some time ago I purchased the correct 180degree Robertshaw Tstat along with a brass restrictor plate from MARLINJACK.
When I pulled the old Tstat out, I compared it to the new one, and although they look almost identical, the "Hat" on the end of the button on the old Tstat is a bit smaller than the new Tstat on the right in the photo:

The two parts I got from MarlinJack fit together with very little clearance between the hat and the hole in the restrictor plate:

I was hoping to not replace the old restrictor plate, but my concern is that if the hole in the stock restrictor plate is too small, then the new thermostat will not open fully when the larger "hat" does not fit into the smaller hole.

Has anyone seen this problem and have any suggestions?  How does one get the old restrictor plate out of the block? It seems to be a press fit like a freeze plug and I don't want to cause damage trying to pry it out.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Dennis