[DeTomaso] Announcing the Winner of the Tom Tjaarda Scholarship

laurieferrari at aol.com laurieferrari at aol.com
Sun Jul 7 18:54:58 EDT 2019

To all the folks who kindly contributed to the Tom Tjaarda Design Scholarship, forwarding the information from Dave and Linda with the results and letter from the chosen recipient, Ettore Balsadonna. This is still on going to reach the goal if anyone would still care to contribute.  Read below.Thank kindly!

   donate: [3]https://www.gofundme.com/tom-tjaarda-scholarship-fund
   Ciao! Dave and Linda
   Dear Mr. and Mrs. Adler,
   My name is Ettore Balsadonna and I'm currently studying at the IED, a
   design school in Turin, Italy, Iave kindly been invited to write you
   this email by Mrs Paola Bronzino, (Tjaarda) telling you a little about
   my person, passions and finally about the motivations behind the
   project Iave designed for the Tom Tjaarda Design Award competition that
   took place the last 20th of June.
   I was born in Venice, but I spent the first years of my childhood in
   Belgium in Brussels because of my parentsa jobs necessities, I returned
[...]
   than cars, enginesa|, my mother is an opera singer, my father a pianist
   and my grandfather and aunt are painters.
   I don't think I have ever developed any particular sensitivity because
   of my family and childhood experiences, but I have always been
   fascinated by the acult of beautya, proportions, harmony, a component
   that made me immediately feel close to Tom Tjaarda and his design
   philosophy that often doesnat require great creative efforts, but takes
   its cue from the surrounding world, from nature and becomes really
   simple, almost obvious and can be summed up in a adisarming gracea.
   I often like to use this quote from Leonardo da Vinci aSimplicity is
   the ultimate sophisticationa and from the little Iave learned about Mr
   Tjaarda during these past weeks I think this phrase really suits him as
   a Designer as well as a Person, Iave understood that the Greatest don't
   need to prove anything to nobody, thatas why even if I havenat either
   had the chance of meeting Tom in person I have a great respect and
   admiration for him, not either talking about his brilliant design
   qualities, just his personality is for me a great source of
   inspiration.
   Taking inspiration from Tom Tjaarda and try to follow his guidelines to
   create a new roadster car for the brand Fiat has been no easy task, I
   first decided that the best thing to do was taking inspiration from the
   cars there are in the Automobile Museum that we have here in Turin, so
   I did and I found out that in the museum there is a specific section
   dedicated to the masters of the Italian car design, in between of which
   there also Mr Tjaarda, every designer has a little showcase in which
   are represented few key elements that influenced or inspired their
   careers as designers, in Tomas one there is a drawing of the Parthenon,
   the Greek temple, because of his design philosophy and golden ratio
   proportion that Tom used in cars, itas good manner, at least here in
   Italy, to give to a car model the name of a person so it resembles more
   of something human, that you can more easily relate with, get a
   connection with when you are driving, so I decided to call my car
   proposal for the contest Fiat Athena because of the Geek goddess at
   which the Parthenon is dedicated to and from witch Tom Tjaarda took
   inspiration on his works.
   Iall be really glad if you would like to take a look at the full
   project, which itas more complete than this brief synthesis on the pdf
   Iave linked in this mail, you can see few sketches of a formal design
   research, the interiors and the final design, on the last page thereas
   also a link for the video Iave made.
   Thank you a lot for spending your time reading about me and this
   project, Iam sorry for my English, I might have miss translate few
   Italian sentences, Iall be available for any question or doubt at this
   email
   Sincerely,
   d-.
   Ettore Balsadonna

References

   1. mailto:dave at hobbycar.com
   2. mailto:laurieferrari at aol.com
   3. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gofundme.com%2Ftom-tjaarda-scholarship-fund%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1YYzb8lj_naqtZSenHVlHPqALIkDuvLlQ5iYm7uAHzj2tzkCOjb6sjFcg&h=AT37avJ-7by3hLvEuGmdYWTeWMPXt08rJLxLYbxAPZAzAdUlXjuS52gpO_zep26pMUjdgCGDfkqwZyZVt7hb1s6qW2qKfq9VA2AsbMvJ5D_C--_Or_J38jN9apjgNckqsG-C64Nmdw