[DeTomaso] Throttle cable

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jan 27 19:35:40 EST 2019

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 27, 2019, at 13:31, Larry Stock <larrys at panteraparts.com> wrote:

(Snip)

> That carb bracket Mike showed helps to get the throttle linkage away from
> the intake manifold base so it doesn’t interfere and get stuck open like
> mine did once doing an Auto Cross, but it doesn’t help so much with the
> angle arc pull of the carburetor butterflies.

>>>Actually, it doesn’t displace the cable end laterally (sideways) at all, so it won’t help much with interference with intake runners if that’s an issue. It moves the ball almost straight back from the standard position. In the standard position, the ball moves slightly down as it moves back, and then moves upward. It describes a circle as it is moving, so that eventually it gets to the 8 o’clock position (or thereabouts) and then the straight line pull does very little to open the throttle further.

The aluminum bracket changes that geometry, and the ball starts out at about the 4 o’clock position. As the cable is pulled it moves through an arc until about the 7 o’clock position. In fact I wish I had this on my own car, and may well install it since it’s sitting here.

I tried to start my car today with no luck. It cranked and cranked for ever and didn’t so much as pop. I now have the battery on a charger. Hoping against hope that the MSD isn’t getting enough power to deliver a quality spark. (I did squirt a little gas in the carb too). Then went to start Lori’s car, and after some cranking it fired right off. Love that thing!

Mike