[DeTomaso] Changing Steering Wheels

Steve steve at snclocks.com
Thu Jan 24 10:37:22 EST 2019

Good morning Mike!

The whole steering wheel pcd thing is confusing.  OK - pcd - pitch circle
diameter.  Here is a simple table for some of the popular wheels:

Maker

Holes

Pitch Circle Diam

Nardi

6

74 mm

Momo

6

70 mm

Moto-Lita

9

101.6 mm (4 inch)

LeCarra

9

101 (4 inch)

Before anyone points out the obvious, I am sure there are exceptions.  Take
our Daytona Coupe - it uses the same screw mounting that the original Cobra
used - which is not evenly spaced.

It turns out that lots of adapters are available for going from 70 to 74 mm
pcd, or going the other way.  And, wow, Nardi offers a specific hub for the
Pantera - their part number 4302.14.1512 - which also fits a '69 to '72
Capri.  Makes that part easier.  Looking at quick releases, many are drilled
for either the 70 or the 74 pcd.  This might be easier than I thought, but,
yes, as you point out, not cheap.  But, since when is price the issue with
our cars???

Honestly, every part of our Pantera is critical and needs to be in good
shape, properly installed and working properly.  I looked up removable
steering wheel fails - forums suggest it comes down to operator error.
Which is why I do my best to do all of the work on our cars myself - I don't
want to rely on someone else to not make a mistake.  It's also why I am very
careful on test drives - gads, what mistakes lurk within???

Why a removable wheel?  Getting under the dash is a pain.  And the wheel on
5332 is more of a pain to remove than any of our other cars.  And, I suspect
I will need some form of a spacer with the Nardi hub.  But, as mentioned
before, every one of us gets to modify our cars to fit our desires!!!

Stephen