[DeTomaso] Changing Steering Wheels

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 14:11:01 EST 2019

 Hi Stephen,
A well thought out response!  And I agree, if the wife says "ok," that's reason enough!  And, I see your point... What is a Pantera?  Italian exotic?  American muscle car?  Supercar?  Hot rod?  Arguably, it's all of those things.  I never made the LeCarra go-kart connection before, but I think you're right.  Then again, when people ask what it's like to drive I always tell them "it handles like a go-kart!"
I do marvel at the many different personalities of the Pantera - I've always thought my car had more of a Classic fighter jet utilitarian feel to the cockpit, and my LeCarra wheel fits that personality well.  And I've seen others with wood rimmed Nardi wheels embody a delicate Italian Luxury car personality, and still others with different personalities from modern supercar to tasteless import tuner-car.
I do hope to see your rear decklid back window in person someday.  Most people I meet who are unfamiliar with Panteras are always surprised to find there is NOT a window in that spot.  I've been thinking of ways to reduce the amount of dust and dirt drawn up through the engine compartment onto the rear decklid and imagine your window goes a long way to keeping the back of the car much cleaner.  Your installation looks like it was very well executed!  I was contemplating installing some kind of belly-pan under the engine compartment to stop the suction of dirt up off the road and out through the rear decklid opening, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Anyway, I completely agree with you... it is YOUR car to play with as you see fit!
Enjoy!