[DeTomaso] Techno Question: deck struts/lifts

Thomas Törnblom thomas at hax.se
Sun Jan 13 03:55:11 EST 2019

Here’s the cross reference from the Swedish club.

http://www.detomaso.nu/korsreferens/parts/21420783.html

I’m using the Toyota struts with my winged GT5.

> 13 jan. 2019 kl. 06:36 skrev Julian Kift <julian_kift at hotmail.com>:
>
>   Dear Chuck,
>
>   This is one of those ambiguous questions where I fear asking 4 forum
>   members would get you 5 opinions! There is sticky on the PI forum that
>   contains 5 pages of decklid shock discussion, wading through that you
>   will deduce the following; For a non wing car an 88lbs force strut has
>   been verified by Strongarm and Autozone as correct for the application,
>   folks report using an Autozone Mighty-Lift D95004 106lbs force strut on
>   winged cars with success, albeit the cheap struts seem to fail with
>   regularity. The recommendation is to not go higher than 106lbs but if
>   you experience sag use a prop in the form of a piece of PVC tube with
>   one third cut out length wise to pop over the extended piston. There
>   are also small clamps in use but I personally think the piston rods are
>   susceptible to marring and then tear the seals on closure leading to
>   premature failure.
>
>   The fulcrum that the stock mounting provides is less than ideal and
>   stresses the decklid. My GT5 (no wing) had no shocks for the longest
>   time as any and all those tried forced the deckild to catch the lip on
>   the roof and chip the paint, so I am now and advocate of and highly
>   recommend the IPSCO system that relocates the mounting points to a more
>   reasonable effort.
>
>   [1]https://ipsco.org//Pantera%20Parts/Rear%20Deck%20Lid%20Shock%20Kit.h
>   tm
>
>   Julian

   Here's the cross reference from the Swedish club.

   [1]http://www.detomaso.nu/korsreferens/parts/21420783.html

[...]

     [1][3]https://ipsco.org//Pantera%20Parts/Rear%20Deck%20Lid%20Shock%20
   Kit.h
     tm