[DeTomaso] Techno Question: deck struts/lifts

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 03:24:37 EST 2019

IMHO, if you cannot get the decklid to stay open with two stock struts, you have added way too much weight back there! Stock rebuilt or small OD aftermarket struts are available. I can't give you anything but pounds of force as applied at the strut end. Some vendors will not sell any strut that applies more than about 100 lbs due to decklid hinge-bending and sheet metal distortion both in the decklid and the roof. Of course, we double that force with two struts.

You can check strut strength with a bathroom scales and a thick piece of steel laying on it, so high force in a small area doesn't bend the thin top plate of the scales.  Push down with a press and read the scale. Perhaps the best solution is/was Ted Mitchell's true bolt-on-no-weld system used a coil spring linkage similar to what held up those gigantic late '50s/early '60s front car hoods. Few bought his pricey system and now Ted is gone. No one has repro-ed Ted's system.