[DeTomaso] Techno Question: deck struts/lifts

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 13 00:36:57 EST 2019

Dear Chuck,

This is one of those ambiguous questions where I fear asking 4 forum members would get you 5 opinions! There is sticky on the PI forum that contains 5 pages of decklid shock discussion, wading through that you will deduce the following; For a non wing car an 88lbs force strut has been verified by Strongarm and Autozone as correct for the application, folks report using an Autozone Mighty-Lift D95004 106lbs force strut on winged cars with success, albeit the cheap struts seem to fail with regularity. The recommendation is to not go higher than 106lbs but if you experience sag use a prop in the form of a piece of PVC tube with one third cut out length wise to pop over the extended piston. There are also small clamps in use but I personally think the piston rods are susceptible to marring and then tear the seals on closure leading to premature failure.

The fulcrum that the stock mounting provides is less than ideal and stresses the decklid. My GT5 (no wing) had no shocks for the longest time as any and all those tried forced the deckild to catch the lip on the roof and chip the paint, so I am now and advocate of and highly recommend the IPSCO system that relocates the mounting points to a more reasonable effort.

https://ipsco.org//Pantera%20Parts/Rear%20Deck%20Lid%20Shock%20Kit.htm

Julian