[DeTomaso] K&N Crankcase Vent Filter - Rubber Disintegrating

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 16:54:31 EST 2019

Hi Mike,

I didn't see a reply to your post about the disintegrating K&N crankcase filter, so thought I'd share my 2-cents.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Replace the rubber grommet/insert and forget about it. If you're really concerned, you can remove the valve cover and make sure there are no bits floating around in the top of the head. Other than that, if the bits have already been washed down to the pan through the oil return passages, then the screen on the oil pump pickup with stop the bigger bits, and the oil filter will catch anything small enough to go through the gear rotor pump. If you have a removable rear cross-member, then you could drop the oil pan and clean it out for added peace of mind. But if you don't have a removable rear cross-member, then cleaning out the pan will require removing the engine.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers!
Garth