[DeTomaso] Fuel level sender removal

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Feb 23 20:41:41 EST 2019

All,

I forgot to issue an update. I forgot that I had bought a late-model fuel sender from Paul Rimov back in 2010. Naturally I remembered only after I had ordered a new one from Larry Stock.

Doh.

It was shockingly easy to pull the old sender out. Moving the fuel line proved problematic as it needed to grow about 4 inches longer. As I’m using Earl’s Permaflex Plus Teflon/braided stainless hoses, that’s a non-trivial thing. I bought more hose and fabricated a new one, transferred the fittings over, and capped the old fuel line banjo fitting with a vacuum plug.

The wiring was straight forward and the fuel line hookup was similarly simple. The car now works as advertised.

I had a fuel leak from the 25-year-old fuel feed, and the replacement I got was the wrong size. So I had to order another one from Earl’s and am awaiting its arrival.

The fuel sender and too-big fuel feed are on their way back to Larry Stock and it should be very straightforward to change the fuel feed when the new one arrives.

Look at me! Ready for Reno four months early!?

Mike

Sent from my iPad