[DeTomaso] New Fuel Injection recommendations

JFFR pantera at vtc.net
Sat Dec 21 08:14:57 EST 2019

FAST XFI 2.05 is a good system, which is what I am currently using in my
Pantera. The only disadvantage that I feel that it has is that you have
to use FAST's XFI ignition box if you want to use a coil on plug or coil
near plug ignition system. My understanding is that the new Holley
Sniper system's ECU can support all of the ignition systems without the
use of another ignition box.

The FAST XFI 2.05 system has some nice features such as a low oil
pressure shut off, which only requires their pressure sensor and wiring
connection. The 2.05 version also allows the addition of a second MAP
sensor to perform real time barometric pressure corrections. It
naturally has an idle air control valve feature which is fully
adjustable. I am sure that Holley has the same feature.

The self tuning on these fuel injection systems will only do so much for
you. You need to have some good basic fuel and timing tables to start
with and go from there. There are limits to how far these systems can
make corrections and the closer you get to start with, the better the
system will run.

The camshaft in my 388 cubic inch stroker engine is fairly radical and
peaks at 6500 rpm and idles with about seven inches of vacuum at 4200
feet above sea level. I am using speed density tuning and have never had
any problems with the car running correctly. The car also runs better
now that it has been switched from a bank fired port injection system to
a sequential port injected system.