[DeTomaso] Brake Discs?

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Dec 7 15:40:04 EST 2019

Dear Tom,

            If you are referring to *front* replacement rotors for a
Pantera, then there is an option.   About three years ago Mike Drew spread
the word of nearly perfect replacements using early Mustang rotors.

            I conversed with Mike and he claims that dozens and dozens of
Pantera owners have used the "bolt on" replacement.  Here is the link to his
2017 email:

http://server.detomasolist.com/pipermail/detomaso/2017-January/095639.html

            What I have learned so far with my rotor project is that the
Pantera has a two piece unit: hub + rotor.  Centric currently makes only one
item that is nearly perfect to replace the original front Pantera rotor.
Here is a link to that part at Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ceb-125-61053/overview/

           They make all sorts of variants: cross drilled, slotted, cryo
treated, etc, however all of those variants are one piece units of the hub
and rotor as one piece, which is more expensive and may or may not work.

            If you only want to replace the rotor then the 125-61053 is a
small fraction of an inch larger in diameter and a few hundredths of an inch
greater in width.  It is vented.  Its high carbon steel resisted my garage
efforts to mount the studs and I was forced to take it to a machine shop.
The consensus was that the current high carbon steel is harder than the cast
iron and resists the remedial home garage techniques.

             I am stalled mid project due to......another Pantera project,
but the rotors are available for about $58 each.

                             Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles