[DeTomaso] Cold air inlet idea

JFFR pantera at vtc.net
Thu Dec 5 12:45:42 EST 2019

I have been using a sealed air box that is fed from small side scoops
that replaced the rear side windows since 2013. A couple of years ago
one of the members on this forum sent me a digital manometer and I did
some testing on this system. From 10 mph up to 120 mph there was an
increase in air pressure inside of the air box. It wasn't a tremendous
amount, but is was definitely a positive pressure. I also attached some
yarn to one of the side scoops and by just increasing the engine RPM,
the yarn was pulled into the scoop. My own tests which were done using
my on board EFI system monitor showed that there was a 40 to 45 degree
temperature decrease in the engine inlet air temperature with the air
box hoses connected vs them being disconnected. The idea of pulling air
into the engine via the side gills will work, but you have to have the
system sealed because of the air that is being forced up into the engine
compartment from the ground underneath the car. If anyone is interested
in looking at my system and testing it themselves, just contact me at
the 2020 Fun Rally.